Friday, October 5, 2012

We Went to a Play--Week 6 of 52 Weeks of New



Back in the summer a local facebook homeschool group I belong to organized a group outing to the theater.  I went to this theater last year for field trips with Lizzy's first grade class (before we pulled her out of school) and Joy's K4 class.  We enjoyed it, so I signed my family up for two of the plays for this year.

Friday I took the kids to see Bunnicula.  This was the second time that I have gone to the theater with all three kids (we went last year as a family with my parents), a first for taking them on my own.  I don't know how many moments I spent worrying about how it was going to go, if I'd find parking all right, if I'd find the group we were going with despite my having never met the other families joining us.  We arrived ridiculously early, and thankfully another mom also arrived very early so we sat outside and chatted while our kids ran around in the grass outside the theater.  She knew who the other moms were, so I just tagged along with her.

My kids did great throughout the entire play.  No one talked.  No one was wiggly.  They were enthralled with the story and the songs.  They laughed a lot.  When it was over they asked me to get the book from the library so I could read it aloud to them.  They asked if there was a movie we could rent.  Apparently they really liked it.

Now I'm sorry I only signed up for two shows this school year.  The kids had so much fun.  When dad asked them at dinner about their favorite part of the day, the play received top billing over lunch at Burger King with a play land and a visit to the children's museum, two of their favorite places.

I'm very pleased that I ignored my natural tendency to pass experiences up because they are out of my comfort zone.  Every little step I take toward being adventurous and trying new things makes it that much easier to say yes the next time.


Past posts in the 52 Weeks of New Series:
Week 1--Where It All Began
Week 2--New Cities and New Foods
Week 3--Hikes and Teaching
Week 4--Lunch Dates and New Mile Mark
Week 5--Fun with Fruit


No comments:

Post a Comment