Thursday, October 18, 2012

Waiting For Baby





I've been sucked into waiting and waiting for Autumn the Giraffe to have her baby.  I have the link to the webcam that is focused on her almost 24/7 up on my computer and I check it every time I am at the computer.  Yesterday I was talking about how all she does is stand there and eat to Hubby and he looked at me oddly and asked, "Who are you talking about?"  Right.  Hubby doesn't know I've been watching a pregnant giraffe off and on for two weeks just waiting for the moment when a baby giraffe will be born.

Of course, then you realize that giraffes have a gestational period of 400-460 days.  And the zoo thinks she is due somewhere between October 16-21, but it could be later.  I think I'm going to have a long wait of watching Autumn eat.  And eat.  And eat some more.

This past Friday my sister had her baby.  A week earlier the whole family, minus my sister and her family, were over at my Grandma's house for dinner when my sister called saying she was having regular contractions.  My mom said that her bags were already packed and that she's ready to go whenever it's time.  Every day the question was, "Is she having the baby yet?"  My mom had a few false alarms in there where she gassed up the car and was on stand-by only to have the contractions stop.  But last Thursday my sister went in for a routine doctor appointment and ended up being admitted into the hospital to have the baby.

FINALLY, I was going to have a new niece.  My niece was born Friday afternoon.  I haven't seen a picture of her yet (hint, hint, sister dear!!!!), I haven't seen her yet (because of my cough), but I've been assured she's a cute little thing.  I hope to go see her next week once I'm healthy again.

All this waiting and anticipating babies being born, both human and animal, makes me think about people like Sarah from the Bible who was promised by God that she'd have a son.  Ten years she waited.  And waited before Isaac was finally born.  Or I think about Jesus.  For centuries the Israelites were given prophecies about a Savior being born.  About a baby coming to earth to save them.  They waited a really long time.  Always anticipating the day when the prophecy would be fulfilled.

It's really hard to wait for a good thing to happen.  Joy is currently sitting in the chair next to me impatiently waiting for me to finish up here so I will go and make her breakfast.  David has his last soccer game of the season tonight and he is bouncing off the walls excited waiting for the game to start.  Lizzy is also equally excited for the last soccer game of the season because it means we are going out for ice cream after the game.

Likewise, I, as a Christian, am eagerly awaiting the time when Christ will come again.  Two thousand years ago Jesus made a promise that he would return to earth again and that he would reign over the earth.  Revelation 22:12 says, "Look, I am coming soon!  My reward is with me, and I will give each person according to what they have done."  And in Matthew 25:13 it says, "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming."   

I strive to be like my mom, always ready at a moment's notice, my bags packed and my gas tank full, for the day when Christ returns.  I may be dead before he returns, but I will continue to wait with eager longing for the day when I will see His face for the first time.

Source


No comments:

Post a Comment