Sunday, October 21, 2012

Race Results

Lined up and waiting to run

When I woke up this morning, I still wasn't sure if I was going to run the 5K.  I coughed my way through the early morning and knew my results were going to be a whole lot less than spectacular if I did run.  I hadn't been running in almost two weeks.  I was at the tail end of an upper respiratory infection.  Yet, the more I thought about it, the more I just wanted to get it over with and move on to the next thing.  So I suited up and went.

Hubby dropped David and me off at the park while he took the girls for pop at the gas station.  David didn't register this time around, he just wanted to run for the fun of it.  I got my number and my butterfly t-shirt and went to the bathroom to change.  I ran into a few friends and chatted, trying not to get nervous about the run ahead of me.  I did feel a little nervous, which is silly, because I knew I was going to do bad.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to run the whole way.  But I still wanted to do well.

We lined up, the gun went off, and David took off.  I set my pace and watched as a long line of runners ran past me.  Yup, I'm slow.  Thankfully none of the walkers walked past me:)

I made it the first mile without walking, but my lungs were screaming at me despite having used an inhaler before the race.  For a while in the middle of the race I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish.  I ended up walking more than I wanted to.  I gave myself a whole lot of pep talks.  I tried to ignore the feeling in my gut that wanted to be sick on the side walk.  Apparently two weeks off from running and a cough are enough to undo nine weeks of hard work.

When I neared the finish line all I heard was Joy yelling, "Mommy!  There's mommy!"  Her yell brought a smile to my face and spurred me on the last tenth of a mile.

This lady told Hubby afterward that David talked to her for almost half the race
He wasn't even winded at the end

My time was pitiful.  I'm embarrassed to even write it.  I came in 12 minutes after David at 41:30.  But I'm trying to get over my poor showing and embrace the fact that I ran (and walked) a 5K.  That I accomplished my goal despite setbacks, even though it was really, really hard there at the end.

Almost to the finish line

And now I am moving onto a new fitness goal.  I am going to rejoin the gym and start working out with my friend at a horribly early hour in the morning.  My goal is to stick with working out three mornings a week from now until spring when it gets light enough for me to start running in the mornings again.

No comments:

Post a Comment