Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Back To The Drawing Board--Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

First attempt at eggless oatmeal raisin cookies.  A 4 out of 10


I used to be a great baker.  I made all kinds of cookies.  Cakes.  Brownies.  Lots of yummy treats, all from scratch.  And then I had David.  No eggs or nuts.  This pretty much eliminates the possibility of 99.99% of all prepackaged and ready-made baked goods.  I can't just go pick up a cake mix.  I have to make it from scratch.  But I can't just use any old recipe.  I have to find special recipes that are egg-free, thus eliminating 99.99% of all recipes.  Brownies?  Still haven't found a good recipe for that one that's egg-free.  Cookies?  I've finally perfected the chocolate chip cookie after eight years of trial and error.

Saturday Hubby asked me if we had any cookies in the house.  I just laughed.  Sunday I wanted a cookie thanks to Hubby putting the idea in my head.  Monday I talked myself out of buying said cookies at the grocery store.  Today, I really, really wanted a cookie.  I told Hubby that today was the day; I was going to make cookies.

Of course he couldn't just be happy with my tasty, well-tested, nearly fool-proof chocolate chip cookies.  Oh no.  He decided he wanted oatmeal raisin cookies.  Oye.  It's been over a decade since I've made those, let alone trying them egg-free.  But Miss Loving Wife decided to give it a shot anyway.  Maybe I'd get lucky and they'd turn out the first time.

But, where's the challenge in that?  That would be boring.  It was almost essential that my cookies not taste great the first time so that I can spend the next decade fiddling around until I perfect a new recipe.  Because I can't accept that my cookies are only mediocre, too crusty, when they should be soft and gooey.  That they lacked that distinct oatmeal raisin cookie flavor and instead tasted like chocolate chip cookie batter with oatmeal and raisins thrown in.

So I am embarking on a new quest.  To perfect the eggless oatmeal raisin cookie.  That's soft and gooey, with just the right taste, with enough oats mixed in so I can actually taste the oats.  I just hope we don't all get sick of oatmeal raisin cookies before I finally land on the perfect recipe.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment