Friday, October 12, 2012

Movies, Caramel Apples and Horses--Oh My!



It's week seven in my 52 Weeks of New adventure.  Every week brings something new to our lives and a whole lot of fun.  Last week I was looking through the list of movies currently playing at the theater to see if there was anything Hubby and I would both like (doubtful).  I came across an advertisement for free family movies--kids under 12 are free, over age 12 are just $4.  I thought it sounded like a fun thing to do on a Friday afternoon.

The kids and I went to see Pirates, Band of Misfits.  I can't say that it was a great movie.  It actually wasn't even that good.  But it was the first time I've taken the kids to the movies by myself, and my kids laughed a lot and seemed to enjoy it.  Plus, I bought a bucket of popcorn which we ate.  And ate.  And ate.  Two whole buckets full of popcorn.  I felt a little sick when we left the theater.  I'm glad we went and I plan to make it more of a routine.  I like taking my kids to the movies, but I don't like how much $$$ a regular movie costs.  Sure, they're movies we could just borrow from the library, but there's something about the whole theater experience.

Sunday we tried our hands at making caramel apples.  Hubby quartered them, the kids stuck them with toothpicks, and then we all sat and unwrapped all the little caramels.  We melted them in the microwave with a little milk added.  Then we all took turns dipping our apples in the big bowl of ooey-gooey delicious caramel.  


David hard at work unwrapping the caramels

Yum!  We could hardly keep ourselves from eating them all.



We stuck the apples in the fridge to harden while we played a few rounds of Uno.  We finished up family night with our homemade caramel apples.  While they tasted delicious, we did learn an important lesson for our next attempt--don't cut the apples first.  The caramel sticks just fine to the skin, but it does not stick to the flesh of the apple.  

Apples ready to be dipped


Dipping the apples


Dipping their fingers and eating every last drop of the leftovers


Monday my kids got to do something for the first time.  We learned about horses at co-op and the family where we have class owns a horse.  The mom let all of the kids pet the horse.  My girls were in heaven and didn't want to stop when their turn was up.  They have been begging me ever since to arrange a time to visit outside of co-op time so they can ride the horse.  While I think it would be great fun, I'm a little worried it will just encourage them to start begging Hubby and me to buy them their own horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment