Friday, April 6, 2012

The Next Time I Decide To Do Yard Work...



Don't.  Ugh.  I hate the rocks in my yard, they get full of weeds that I have to remove on a weekly basis.  They end up in the yard.  They end up in the driveway.  I had this great plan to remove the rocks from just the front of my garden area thinking it would be an easy, simple project.  I was wrong.

I removed the top layer.  Then I discovered that the rocks were actually about 8 inches deep into the dirt.  Okay.  I got out the shovel and started digging them out.  Then I discovered the rocks were in the grass.  So I had to start digging them out of the grass.  After about 6 hours of work into the project, I was on the last little section of rocks and was about to rejoice that I was done.  This is when I discovered the edging bricks.

I forgot we even had edging bricks.  After living in our house for 5 years,  we finally bought a weed whacker today (I think the neighbors are going to throw a "Thank God!" party).  So all this time we haven't been edging our yard.  All this time I thought the rocks were getting in the grass.  WRONG!  The grass was growing over the rocks!  I then had to dig up the grass, roll it back, get the rocks and bricks out from under the grass and then put the grass back.  The grass had grown over the edging by about 2 feet.  I worked at it all day.  In total it took me about 12 hours of work over 2 weeks to do my "simple project."  But it's done.  Until it warms up and I have to start babysitting grass seed.


My work in the garden made me think about the parallels to my own sin.  Sometimes I think that a sin isn't really a big deal.  It's just a little sin, I'll clean it up and move on.  But once I start digging into my sin, I realize it's no longer just a little sin.  It's a deep sin.  So I start rooting it out.  Then I realize it's this big ginormous sin that's been partially hidden by other things.  It's now suddenly really hard to get rid of this sin.  I start to wonder if I'm ever going to be rid of it.  Fortunately, unlike with my garden, I don't have to do all the work to get rid of my sin.



The only way to get rid of them is through the blood of Jesus.  All I have to do is ask him and Jesus will forgive my sins and wash them away.  Today is Good Friday, the day that we remember Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.  Thank you, Jesus, for paying the price for my sins.  For forgiving me when I fall.  For always loving me.


No comments:

Post a Comment