Tuesday, January 1, 2013

When I'm Sick



The cruddies hit after dinner last night.  You know when that feeling comes over you--your sinuses start draining and your throat starts hurting and you know you're about to get laid flat.  That's how I felt last night. I chugged an airborne and ate an orange, but the germs were already entrenched.  I woke up today feeling like I'd been run over by a truck.

I got up and ate breakfast but all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed.  I laid down on the couch instead and watched an hour of Garfield and Friends with the kids (their latest Netflix show).  Then Hubby woke up and turned on ESPN and we watched sports highlights for a while and I became educated on the finer arts of head coaches and general managers getting fired when their football teams don't make the playoffs.

Finally I took possession of the remote.  It was only 10:15 am, but I had this overwhelming desire to watch The Price Is Right just like I did every time I staid home sick as a kid.  Funny how years later I still remember that it is on every week day at 11:00 am.  I flipped through the channels and found Let's Make a Deal instead.  The kids were a riot getting into the show--Choose what's behind the curtain!  No, don't pick what's under the box!  Oh no, she won a broccoli purse--oh wait, it's full of money!

And then 11:00 am rolled around and The Price is Right came on.  First, I just have to say that it is not the same without Bob Barker and the Barker Beauties.  What do they call the girls now?  Drew's Dames?  I watched it, laughed as David called out guesses for everything and got super excited when he was closest, and made Hubby snicker when he walked by the living room and overheard me explaining the finer arts of spinning the big wheel--you win if you get the closest to $1.00 without going over.

I concluded my morning with a lunch of homemade turkey noodle soup and whole wheat bread.  When you're sick, a bowl of soup laced with yummy bread is what you eat, right?  Lucky for me, I threw a turkey drumstick in the crock pot yesterday and made soup for dinner, and whipped up a loaf of bread even before I knew I was going to be sick.

The one thing that I remember about being sick that I didn't have was Vernors pop.  I almost ran to the store just to buy Vernors until I remembered that the taste of Vernors makes me physically ill after drinking so much of it when I had horrible, un-medically treated morning sickness with David.  And that Vernors is for when you have the pukes, not a cold.

Sometimes it's nice to be sick because it means you can laze around all day on the couch watching mindless game shows.  Until you remember that you're the mom with a house full of kids who need to eat.  And a kitchen full of dirty dishes that need to be cleaned up.  And laundry that has been sitting in the washer since last night that needs to be dried before it starts to smell.  And an empty fridge that is going to require you to go to the store tomorrow unless all you want to eat is vegetables since you did go to the farmers market store yesterday but only bought produce and nothing else.

That's when you remember that it's a lot more fun to be sick as a kid--you get to miss school, watch TV, and have mom to wait on you.  Being the sick Mom is a whole lot less fun.  Unless you can convince your mom to come over and take care of you.  Mom???  Are you coming???

No comments:

Post a Comment