Monday, December 31, 2012

Going on an Adventure

I went to see The Hobbit with the Hubby last night.  Setting aside the amazing scenery and the merits of the movie, the thing that stood out to me the most was this--there just aren't a lot of opportunities for quests these days. I read a lot of books about pioneers, adventurers, people conquering the wilderness.  But where would an average, suburban girl with normal life responsibilities go to have a quest?  What is there to do in the middle of a settled country where I could have this conversation--Can you promise that I will come back?  No.  And if you do, you will not be the same.

So, barring any unforeseen opportunities coming my way, I will have to settle for no quests.  I will have to make my own adventures, which are a few steps below quests.  (These could also be construed as New Years Resolutions)

Here are my adventures for 2013 in no particular order:

1. Build my new garden area to include raised garden beds, fruit bushes, and a hoop house or green house of some sort.  Can, freeze, or dehydrate the surplus for winter eating.  (I have done this before in small quantities but I've never grown much more than we could eat at the moment)


Overgrown mess

Current state of affairs--how it is right now (with some snow added on top)

2. Add $6000 more to our emergency fund above the amount that we are already saving.  (We're saving to pay cash for a new-used-van in the next 1-2 years so we need to beef up the fund)

3. Cook vegetable-rich, healthy meals and add ten new family-approved recipes to my menu rotation.  Find a new "fall-back" meal when I don't know what to make--my current one is Mexican food and Hubby is sick of that.

Lots of fruits and veggies

4. Get moving.  Walking, lifting weights, using the elliptical machine, the punching bag--doesn't matter what as long as I do something on a daily basis.

5. Finish out my 52 Weeks of New Challenge.  Keep on saying yes to new things and experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment