Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reading Through the Bible in a Year





I received the book A Woman's Guide to Reading the Bible in a Year by Diane Stortz today and read through the first part that describes the book and how to use it, plus the first ten weeks of the yearly plan.  Not wanting to spoil the whole surprise of the book, I stopped there and will read each week as I come to it.

I've wanted to read through the whole Bible for a long time.  Even though I love to read, the Bible is a really big book.  I've read all of the books at one time or another, but the whole Bible in one big shot?  Nope.  It just seems so daunting.  But Stortz has broken it down in an easily manageable way--3 chapters a day, 15-20 minutes of reading a day.

This book is not just a plan on how to read through the Bible, she also gives a summary each week of what the chapters are saying.  Basic background information that makes the reading easier to connect with.  The whole book makes the Bible more understandable and makes connections between books and events in such a way that the history of the Bible makes more sense to us non Bible scholars.

If you are looking to read through the Bible and want a guide to help you along the way, this is a great resource.  I plan to start reading through the Bible in a year starting today.


**Thank you Bethany House Publishers for giving me a copy of this book to review.  All of the opinions expressed in this review are my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment