Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Silliest Things That Seem Useless...Aren't



One of the things that we are supposed to do weekly as part of our homeschool curriculum is to play the Geography Game.  We are learning about the different continents and the people who live there, so as we learn about each continent we are learning the countries that make up each continent.

The Geography Game is simple.  Each player has a game board with a continent on it.  Each player takes a turn drawing a card with the name of a country on it and has to place a token on the correct country on the map.  If they're wrong, the card goes to the next person until every one has had a chance at getting it right.  And so on.

The game is silly.  Simple.  I dislike it and thought it was a waste of time at first.  And yet my kids love it and beg to play it every day.  Yesterday we played the South America version.  Today we played the Europe version.  Slowly my children are learning the names and locations of all the countries in the world.  Slowly I am learning, by default, the names and locations of all the countries in the world.  Apparently there is a reason why this game is included in our curriculum.

There are a lot of things that seem so simple, maybe even silly, yet make a big impact.




Sometimes after reading the Bible day after day, it can become just a rote habit.  I do it because I should, but I don't always get a lot out of it.  And then a verse comes along and speaks directly to your heart.  Today's scripture was one of those.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 
Timothy 3:16-17

I started thinking about my mother-in-law who started memorizing scripture over a year ago.  Through daily work and effort, she now has an arsenal of scripture in her brain that she can pull out at any time to address just about any situation.

It's always exciting when I am talking with someone and am searching for an encouraging or useful thing to say to their situation and a scripture pops into my brain that speaks right to the conversation.

There is only one way to get to the point of being able to have a scripture at the ready for all situations: rote memorization of scripture.  Playing silly games like the Geography Game; something that seems so simple and silly but is surprisingly effective.  Yesterday when I was worrying about something, I stopped myself with scripture:

Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself.  
Each day has enough trouble of its own. ~ Matthew 6:34 



Linked up with:


No comments:

Post a Comment