Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Day in the Life of my Homeschool



Today is Tuesday which means Joy has preschool while the rest of us go to a botany co-op class.  The morning starts with dropping Joy off at my dad's so he can take Joy to school because it meets in the same building where my dad works.  Then I take Lizzy and David to botany class.

Today they learned about dandelions and weeds.  The class of first-forth graders were divided on whether dandelions are a weed or a plant we should want to grow, though no one was brave enough to try a sampling of dandelion greens to prove they would make a tasty treat.

After an hour of science, we came home and did the next lesson of Adventures in My Father's World which covers Bible, History, Science, Art, Music, and literature.  Today we learned about Samuel Morse.  We all wrote a message in morse code and then passed it to the next person to translate.  David wrote: Mom has a big head with morse code.  Lizzy wrote: Hi mom have a nice day.  I wrote: I love you David and Lizzy.

David's message as translated by Lizzy

Math time comes next.  David is currently on Saxon 65 using the DIVE cds to explain his lessons-he likes it better when Mom doesn't teach him math.  Lizzy is using Singapore Math 1b and working on learning her math facts.  Eventually she will switch over to Saxon, but she's not quite ready for math without pretty pictures.

After math comes reading time.  Lizzy is working her way through the Thornton W. Burgess animal books series and is busy reading The Adventures of Grandfather Frog.  David is reading the Mysterious Benedict Society and is in the middle of The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoners Dilemma.

This afternoon we will tackle Spelling, Grammar, and gym.  By gym I mean I will kick the kids outside and make them ride their bikes, play in the yard, or do yard work while I get some work done around the house.  (I have a "choose-your-own-adventure" project to tackle this week and I think I am going to try to tackle the dungeon otherwise known as my basement storage room.)

Twice a week I have the kids write one page of either copywork or an original story and practice typing using Dance Mat Typing.  Not every day is like today.  Some days we accomplish everything, other days we don't.  But this is a pretty typical look into our homeschool life.

No comments:

Post a Comment