Monday, March 4, 2013

A Late Night Visit From God


Image source


Have you ever been sound asleep when it sounds like someone is knocking at your door and it startles you awake thinking someone is really knocking at your door?  That is what happened to me last night.  Someone really was knocking at my door.  God.

I heard a knocking on a metallic door and it woke me up.  I laid there between sleep and awake wondering if it was my imagination or a real knocking.  Then I did what Samuel did and said, "If that's you, Lord, I'm listening."

And then my vision went funny.  Words started flashing through my mind.  I saw a dictionary page with key words in parentheses jumping out.  Three specific words...

Love More Together

Okay.  I can do that, Lord.  But who do you want me to love?

Suddenly my heart rate increased until I thought it was going to burst out of my chest.  My body felt like a balloon being blown up to exploding.  My body was burning hot.  My mind was a kaleidoscope of images.  And God whispered one word...

Everyone

But how do you want me to love everyone?  What do you want me to do, Lord?

Invite them over.  I will send them, you invite them.  

A name flashed through my mind.  Invite this person over.

I will do this, Lord.  I will open my home and start inviting whoever you send my way.  

The air slowly leaked out of my body.  My heart rate returned to sedate.  The burning heat dissipated to normal.  I opened my eyes and glanced at the clock.  2:30 am.  Despite the hour, I knew I needed to jump out of bed right now and send off my invitation to dinner.  I needed to write about my experience so nothing was forgotten of this amazing visit from God.  

Hubby was still awake reading on the couch when I burst into the living room in pursuit of my laptop.  He looked at me a little strange as I told him the story.  Being the man of many words that he can sometimes be, he just smiled and said, "Cool."  

And suddenly my burning desire to have my living and dining room carpets cleaned makes sense.  I'd already scheduled the cleaning for this morning, just in time to start inviting over the masses--or whoever God sends my way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment