Friday, June 15, 2012

I Touched a Worm


I took the kids fishing all by myself today (read that as no Hubby to do all the yucky worm and fish touching).  I bought the worms myself--$3.90 for twenty Canadian night crawlers (I'm not sure if Canadian worms are better than American ones, but that's what the container said).  I actually touched the container that they came in.  We drove a few miles to a pond with tons of little nibbler fish that like to bite hooks.




David and Lizzy are independent fishers.  They bait their own hooks and only occasionally need help getting their fish off.  Joy is not.  I thought about making David bait Joy's hooks, but I didn't think it was fair to him to have to stop fishing all the time.  So I bucked up and baited her hook myself.  I tried not to think about all those worm guts getting on my fingers, about the wriggly little bodies wrapping around my hand.  I will probably have nightmares full of disgusting worms tonight, but I did it.  I touched a worm and survived.




We all caught at least one fish.  David, our fisherman, caught six.  He also caught the largest fish, coming in at just under six inches long-ginormous!  I don't know what he does that's different than the rest of us, but he always catches a bunch of fish while we catch a few.

We had a fun time and I plan to do it again soon.  It was peaceful and fun for all of us.  And that's one more thing I can cross off my Summer Bucket List.  Next time I'll plan ahead enough to remember the picnic.


1. Built a fort out of downed wood.

2. Pack a picnic lunch and go fishing.

3. Fly a kite.

4. Watch the clouds drift by on a hot, summer day.

5. Catch fireflies and put them in a jar so we can watch them light up in a dark room.  (And then release them)

6. Build a sandcastle.  

7. Paint nature scenes while sitting outside.

8. Go on a bird watching hike.

9. Go canoeing and/or tubing down a river.

10. Buy a pup tent that the kids can set up themselves and play in outside.  


As you can see, the fish were HUGE.  Joy named the fish Floppy, Floppy Boppy, and Floppy Boppy Loppy before she got tired of the game.  She wanted to take them home for dinner, but I assured her that my dinner plans are much tastier than hers.












life rearranged

No comments:

Post a Comment