Wednesday, May 28, 2014

When The Holy Spirit Speaks To A Child

Me and my Joy--she really is my Joy.



Sometimes it's only after the fact that we are able to see the Holy Spirit's handy work.  Yesterday was one of those days.

We were completely out of bread, fruit and eggs, and scraping the bottom of the barrel with a bunch of other food.  Going to the grocery store was the order of the day.  I am the sort of person who has a very focused mind when I have something to do.  If I am cooking dinner, get out of my way or dinner is likely to be burned.  If I am scrubbing the bathroom, don't be offended if I ignore you talking to me because I am too focused on getting that sink shining to notice you are talking to me.

So when Joy came up to me as we were getting ready to leave and asked if she could call G.G. (short for Great Grandma), I told her no.  We were about to leave.

"But I really need to ask her if she needs anything from the store."

I probably threw her a look of frustration--can't she see I am trying to go?!  But I handed her my phone and let her call.  G.G. wanted us to buy a 6 pack of geraniums for her garden.  Fine, we can do that.

We bought her flowers, dropped them off at her house on our way home, and left after a short chat because G.G. wanted to take a nap.

An hour later I was sitting out in the sun room having my prayer time when Joy came out to talk to me.

"Mom, I really feel like the Lord wants me to help someone, but I don't know what to do."

"Do you know who you're supposed to help?"

"No.  That's the problem.  I really need you to help me know what to do."

"Do you think one of your Grandmas might need help?"

"Ya.  I could call them."

I had her call her Grandmas first because I didn't want her to wake G.G. from her nap.  Both Grandmas were busy.  So I agreed to let her call G.G. to offer to help her plant the flowers.  G.G. accepted the offer.

Joy trotted off to G.G.'s house and helped plant the flowers.  Plus eat some ice cream and drink orange juice (because it wouldn't be a visit with Grandma unless it involved treats).

I later posted on Facebook about how sweet it was that Joy listened to the Holy Spirit speaking to her.  Grandma responded that she probably wouldn't have even put in flowers this year if Joy hadn't called her.

Later I started thinking about the whole situation and how odd it was.  Joy has never asked to call one of the Grandmas to see if they needed anything before we left for the store.  But she was adamant yesterday.  She has never come up to me out of the blue to tell me that she really feels that God wants her to help someone.  But she was so serious and sure that God was speaking to her and that she had to act on it.  I thought she was busy playing with her sister, but apparently God is perfectly happy to interrupt Joy's play time to speak to her heart.

I have been working with the kids off and on this year, teaching them to pray and listen.  To wait on the Lord and to recognize His voice when He speaks to them.  Sometimes it feels like I am just wasting my time, but then moments like yesterday happen and I realize that these efforts are not without purpose.  God is at work in my kids even when it isn't immediately obvious.

And it is infinitely beautiful and precious when I am able to witness my child listening and obeying the Holy Spirit when He speaks to them.  How much more beautiful and precious it must be to the Lord Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment