Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Waiting to Jump--Lizzy Got Her Ears Pierced





When Lizzy turned 9 in June, we offered to let her get her ears pierced.  She thought about it and said no.  Every time we go to the mall (all 2 times since her birthday) and walk past the jewelry store, I ask her if she's ready.  She gives me a scared look and says, not yet.

Today we were at the mall for lunch and a movie.  As I was sitting there eating my lunch and talking with my Grandma, Mom, Aunt and Sis-in-law, Lizzy came up to me and said:

"You know how you said I could get my ears pierced whenever I am ready?  Do you think I could get it done today?"  I handed her the phone and told her to call her Dad to make sure it was fine with him.  He said yes, we had a half hour before our movie, so we went to get it done right then.

As I stood there filling out the waiver form, Lizzy said, "Mom, have you ever had a funny feeling in your tummy because you were excited but also nervous?"

"Yes.  I get like that sometimes.  And I want you to know, you don't have to do this.  Even right up to the last second you can change your mind and we'll try again another time."

Nope.  She wasn't going to do that.  The sales woman asked Lizzy if she wanted a count down before she pierced her ears.  "No, just do it."  Lizzy hopped up into the chair and got her ears pierced with barely a flinch.






As we were walking through the mall to the movie theater after we were done, she had the biggest smile on her face.  She was so happy, so proud.  But I told her what really made me proud of her.  And it wasn't because she'd gotten her ears pierced today.






"Lizzy, it really took bravery to wait until you were ready to get your ears pierced.  I've asked you several times if you were ready and you knew that you weren't.  You didn't let me talk you into it but waited.  Being able to say 'no' or 'not yet' takes more bravery sometimes than saying 'yes.'"

It may have taken Lizzy three and a half months to decide she was ready to get her ears pierced, but I am glad she waited.  She learned that you don't have to say 'yes' if you're uncomfortable.  It's okay to wait.  Which is a lesson that will serve her well down the road when it comes to bigger things like peer pressure.  Sometimes saying 'no' or 'not yet' is more courageous.




No comments:

Post a Comment