Friday, October 28, 2011

On a First Name Basis With the Goodwill Drop-off Man

A side effect of my quest in simplifying my house and my life is a non-stop generation of things to get rid of.  Every day I clean a little more and end up with another bag of things to donate.  I made two trips to Goodwill this week and Gary gave me a funny look on trip two.  Maybe his look was due to the fact that I stop off with a bag or two of things almost every week since the store is conveniently located right next door to my grocery store.  Maybe I just looked funny and he couldn't help himself.  Maybe he was just having a funny-look sort of day.  Whatever the reason, I didn't have the guts to make a third trip this week despite having a trunk full of things after doing a major purge of my bookshelf and office.

Yesterday was my first morning I spent at home this week.  I woke up feeling very unmotivated, even posted about it in my facebook status update.  But, like most times, once I force myself to get going I get a lot done.  I cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, vacuumed the whole house, and then went into the office to reward my efforts with some computer time.  As I walked through the door, this thing met my eyes.




It has been in the office for a while now.  It wasn't supposed to be in the office.  It was in my bedroom until I got rid of it and put it in the office as a stopping over place before going to Goodwill (just can't get enough of that place!).  Instead, it has been sitting in my office for months bugging me every time I go into the office.  I picked it up to put in the van to take to Goodwill when I got to thinking.  I wonder if the bookshelf in my room, which I HATE having in my room because it makes me feel claustrophobic sitting next to my bed, would fit in this little nook?  I got out the tape measure and sure enough, it was a perfect fit.  Motivation overtook me and I emptied the bookshelf (hence the great book purge), moved it to the office, dusted and vacuumed everything, and now have a much happier office and a much happier bedroom.  Plus, before bringing the night stand to Goodwill I sent out an email asking my family if anyone needed it.  My SIL responded that they did, so I get to bless someone else with it!  Mission accomplished.


No comments:

Post a Comment